Schmopera's first panel discussion: Regietheater
Today, we're really excited to present our very first panel discussion, on the topic of Regietheater. With the help of videographer Jeff Higgins, we captured an extended conversation with some of Canada's most opera-savvy folks. The question of interpreting opera led to the unpacking of topics, like what it means to say a piece is done in its "original form." I was even able to include a couple of queries from readers.
Many thanks go to the seven members of our panel, who I'll introduce by seating arrangement, left to right:
- Robert Harris, arts writer, The Globe and Mail
- Wayne Gooding, editor, Opera Canada
- Lydia Perović, arts writer & journalist, Opera Canada, Definitely the Opera
- Alexander Neef, general director, Canadian Opera Company
- Michael Mori, artistic director, Tapestry Opera
- Krisztina Szabó, mezzo-soprano
- Joel Ivany, artistic director, Against the Grain Theatre
We'd love to hear your feedback on our first foray into panel discussions. In the comments below, let us know what you liked, what you learned, and what questions you'd like answered.